Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Linear Text

Samantha Sanchez

The digital world is changing writing, reading, learning and even thinking and living. The form of reading and writing is more connected to the digital world. We have to rethink our lives.

Digital text is different. Digital text is movable and easier than linear text when written on paper. Hypertext can link anywhere, text is fast. I can edit easy and change what I want as many times as I want. We choose what we want to read and see. We have the ability to read things in the way we want to not the way the author designed the piece to be read. The form and content can be separated in the digital world for instance we can edit things easier and organize things how we want them. The digital world can give us visual images of what we want. We can see pictures of places, people and things.

We link into the web millions of times a day all over the world. We post our life experiences and what we know on the web, we teach the web. The digital world is learning from us. We share our information with it. We are no longer consumers, but we are producers giving web what we know. We are the WEB. I myself have a web space of my own where I document my information and post my knowledge of what I know up on the web, I consume to the digital world.

We have to RETHINK what we are doing. We have no privacy, the web is using us. Just because something seems to be the easier way out it doesn't mean it’s the best way of doing things. We have to RETHINK everything. We are in control not the machines. We are the ones who link onto the web and feed it what we know and our experiences in our life and others.

In a article "Rethink Schools", it expressed how schools that have low budgets don't design their schools and its shown that a "learning environment" that includes designs can have a 11% increase in scores due to a more physical and digital look of education. The article explains that the 21st century learning environments should blend both physical and digital to infrastructures to support the students. The students need to have a visual access to what there leaning and be able to explore through the digital world. It’s reported that the traditional learning environment has changed from school and classrooms to just having technology and using the digital world. It argued that instead of an isolated classroom, one could accomplish more with use of technology and the outside world through the digital world.

I interviewed the owner of "The Yankee Tavern" named Joseph Bastone. Joseph was asked if he ever had to rethink anything in life that he has done. Joseph stated " there are so many things I wish I could undo but in the moment of time he seemed to take the easy way out." Joseph explained to me that he wish he had never taken any loans because it was difficult to pay off . Joseph also explained to me that he gave into so many advertisements for his restaurant and at times the product he gave into never benifited him so he winded up loosing out on his money. In addition he also included how he has spent so much money on cars that always seemed to break down or become an in convinence to him. Joseph concluded that he wish he had the wisdom he does now and knowledge so that he'd never made the mistakes he did in this past, "there's just so much I wish I would've thought over in life".

We need to rethink our lives. From using the digital world to our actual life decisions . We have to acknowledge that we are in control. In life we can't go back and rearrange our mistakes. The digital world allows us to go back and arrange the things we want to. The digital world offers us to correct our mistakes.... I am in control of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment